Monday 8 October 2018

Let's dance!

When I was coming up to 40 I learned to juggle. 


A set of juggling balls appeared in my Christmas stocking with a little instruction book. So I thought, 'Let's do this'. Following the little book I practised for 5 or ten minutes a day. The first attempts were pretty hopeless but then gradually I started to get the hang of it. Starting with 2 balls, then (with a struggle) moving to 3, then clubs, then rings, then a few tricks. I never mastered 4 balls though and soon stopped practising.

Twenty years on I can still do a basic three ball juggle but that's about it. If I had kept practising, who knows I may have had a second career as a street entertainer in Covent Garden.

So what, you may say. Well, it kind of stuck with me that something that seems impossible can be achieved with practice and consistent effort for just a few minutes a day. Not rocket science I know but it works for me.

So l'm doing the same thing now with dance. Dancing is not my thing. I'm really, really bad at it. Which is very annoying considering I am part of a large family where all my siblings are naturally good dancers. I just missed out on the dancing genes.

A few weeks ago I was asked to join in for a charity dance event. Me and eleven other novices have been paired with 12 people who can dance. We get a month to practice and then we perform at a glitzy event. A bit like a local, low budget Strictly Come Dancing.

I know that I will never be the next Anton du Beke and will probably never reach even Ed Balls standard (No offence Ed - I think you did really well). At my first lesson I quite literally was unable to move my feet. A couple of weeks on and with daily practice, I can see some progress. That's a wonderful feeling. Going from no knowledge and no proficiency to the semblance of a routine in a short space of time.

I'm not sure how the event will go but whatever happens I will have gained on a personal level. I've made a new friend in my long suffering and patient dance partner, I've started to learn a new skill and who knows, at the next family gathering I might be able to give my dancing siblings more of a run for their money.

I think the lesson for me is that it's never too late to learn something new. You may not reach dizzy heights of brilliance but great enjoyment and satisfaction can be gained from achieving your own personal goals

Oh the charity we are dancing for is Pancreatic Cancer Research. If you are able to support this cause with a small donation I would be really grateful

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/fredhcd




No comments:

Post a Comment