Monday 12 November 2018

How busy is too busy?

We are all busy it seems. 


It's a bit like a badge of honour where we try to outdo each other with how hectic and out of control our lives are. 'It's been mental. I'm so busy. There's work, the kids, the elderly parents, we're having the kitchen done, Christmas is coming etc.' The busier we are, the greater the kudos.

Does it have to be this way? I'm reading, 'Tribe of mentors' by Timothy Ferriss. It's basically a book of life and business tips from a 100 or so successful people - 'Short life advice, from the best in the world', as the strapline goes. One of the contributors, designer Debbie Milan, comes out with a great quote, 'Busy is a decision'. She argues that broadly we do the things we want to do. If being busy is an excuse for not doing something, what we are really saying is it's not important enough.

I struggle a bit with how busy to be in my own small business. My ideal is that I'm the sales, client care and business development guy and everything else gets covered by the team. At times (not often) I have short windows of feeling on top of things and going into the office in the morning without a long to do list. It feels good while it lasts (which is usually not long) but it is always  accompanied by a slight feeling of guilt that I'm not busy enough.

I used to work with a business coach who was obsessive about helping his clients grow their businesses. One of his sayings was, 'Business owners don't realise how hard they need to work to be successful'. He felt it was human nature for an entrepreneur to take their foot off the gas and coast for a while when they reached a milestone and things became a little more comfortable. He believed it was his job to stop that happening and keep the owner's nose to the grindstone.

It's tax season so I'm in a busy phase now until February. No coasting or taking my foot off the pedal. That's fine and I have my browny points in the 'How busy are you?' chat with people I bump into in Sainsbury's.

But getting back to the phrase, 'Busy is a decision', I really need to sort this out. It's up to me what I do and how busy I choose to be. I will be putting my mind to that...as soon as I get the time

www.base52.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment