Friday 20 July 2018

Tax, lies and stereotypes


Let's start with the stereotypes. Accountants are steady, boring and cautious. Phillip Hammond rather than Bojo. Well, some are but many aren't.


I've been told many times that I'm not a 'typical' accountant because I'm approachable and easy to talk to. I'll take that as a complement but I can do dull, boring and cautious if I need to.

I had an accountant pal who was (and probably still is) charismatic, energetic and persuasive. He is also a risk taker and his cv is a roller coaster of exceptional highs and near catastrophic lows.

He also has a tendency to be 'economical with the actualite'' to use Alan Clarke's phrase. I found this out to my cost which is why he is now an ex pal. I think this expression is particularly apt. Often it's what's not said rather than what's said by an untruthful person that is most deceptive and damaging. 'Risks? You never asked about the risks'

My ex buddy's gambling tendencies mean that he is willing to push the boundaries with tax planning. This, along with his charm and persuasive skills can be attractive to a hard-pressed business owner. Saving a load of tax - what's not to like?

Well, each to their own but when it comes to choosing an accountant I think risk taking, charisma and persuasiveness are overrated. There lies the probability of early and easy wins, followed by inevitable losses and possibly worse.

As an entrepreneur and business owner I am happy to take calculated risks. I don't want my accountant to be a risk taker too so I'll settle for steadiness and caution every time


1 comment:

  1. Babel account & manag contracting companies
    The program includes 12 specialized systems in contracting field and providing explanation library
    of 145 videos with total of 6 hours of explanation and providing more than 200 questions in the
    field of contracting and group of essays which serve contracting companies.
    برنامج محاسبة مقاولات
    برنامج محاسبة شركات المقاولات
    برنامج ادارة شركات المقاولات
    برنامج الاستثمار العقارى
    برنامج استثمار عقارى
    برنامج لشركة استثمار عقارى

    ReplyDelete