Friday 6 July 2018

It ain't over 'til it's over

Turning 60 this week was something of a milestone. 


I had a nice relaxing day off work and England rounded things off by beating Colombia on penalties. Not that I could watch the finale, I had to walk around the block and learn the result when I got back. A good ending.

It does make you focus on your mortality. I'm set to draw two occupational pensions this year. So if I had stayed employed that would be it. I could hang up my boots (metaphorically speaking) and like Marlon Brando in the Godfather tend my vegetables and play with my grandchildren. Marlon did become a nicer version of himself in his old age (It's not hard to improve on murder and corruption) but he came to a sticky end in his pepper patch. Although I love my grandchildren, that's not overly appealing.

One of the plusses about running your own business is that you have choices.You can sell up and retire. You can carry on with 50 or 60 hour weeks and hope you keep your health and energy levels. Or you can keep going but change how you work and what you do. Maybe do less of everything but more of the things that you like and are good at. This last option appeals to me most.

My favourite quote about retirement comes from an unlikely source. Ex US President, Richard Nixon may not be everyone's idea of a role model. Sure, he had his faults but a strong work ethic and sense of duty (occasionally flawed) were part of his make up. His view on retirement was, 'To me, the unhappiest people in the world are those in the watering places, the international watering places like..uhhh..the south coast of France and Newport and Palm Springs and Palm Beach; going to parties every night, playing golf every afternoon, then bridge. Drinking too much, talking too much, thinking too little. Retired. No purpose.' The Palm Springs set may disagree. Pottering about in the sun sounds fun but I think the novelty would soon wear thin. So I'm with Richard on this

Then there is Stephen Hawking who says, 'Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it'. People find meaning and purpose in different things. To Stephen it was understanding the universe. Most of us have more modest ambitions. For me, being 60 changes very little. I still find purpose, great enjoyment and satisfaction in running a business. If that changes I may try something else but for now its business, more or less, as usual...

www.base52.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment